• San Antonio Spurs fans this may cause you some irritation. NBA.com's Shaun Powell has a few ideas on how the NBA can hold on to the casual fans and it includes stopping the San Antonio Spurs from spoiling the fun:
Keep the Spurzzzzzzz from spoiling the fun. Look, nothing against the loyal basketball fans in San Antonio, and the Hall of Fame-worthy coach, and the Big Fundamental and all that. Seriously: Congrats on the fine season so far. But can we all agree to end it in May? Nobody's saying the Spurs aren't worthy of being champions; on the contrary, with oodles of depth and experience, they've got a title twinkle. And that's what's scary, because the ratings in the NBA Finals were flatter than Tim Duncan's free throws whenever the Spurs showed up. Do you want to spend June stifling a yawn? Didn't think so, either. Effective but dreadfully boring, like a Harvard biochemistry lecture, the Spurs own a variety of punches that can put other teams to sleep. They can work over an audience, too.
• More people are tuning in to the San Antonio Spurs in the San Antonio viewing area on Fox Sports Southwest:
Another success story is in San Antonio, where the league-leading Spurs have averaged a 10.01 local rating. (sportsbusinessdaily.com)
• Spurs' Manu Ginobili suffered an accidental hit to the lip from teammate Gary Neal in the win over the Sacramento Kings and now Ginobili wants payback:
Hit the jump to hear what Manu had to say about Neal's inadvertent hit, why Tim Duncan deserved a spot on the All-Star squad and more:
• Dimemag says Tim Duncan deserved the spot on the 2011 Western Conference All-Star squad:
By now, the sentiment has become clear from Portland to Memphis: Duncan only got in on reputation and doesn’t deserve to be an All-Star.
But he does. And not on some lifetime-achievement, thanks-for-the-memories, one-more-for-the-road farewell gift. Duncan is still one of the 12 best players in the West, and one of the most valuable players in the League this season.
• When the Spurs take on the Philadelphia 76ers later this week, the 76ers will be having a "Go Red Night" to bring awareness to heart disease.
• The Spurs' Coyote will be a special guest for the Run 4 Hope 5k run/walk in San Antonio.
• Reigning Black has the Tale of the Tape on the Spurs vs. the best teams in the NBA.
• Express News' Tim Griffin talks about the Spurs record.
The Spurs are boring, they only have Manu the Argeantian Assassin, Parker one of the quickest PG's in the league, TD the best PF of all time, DeJuan Blair the undersized center who plays with a lot of heart, the Red Rocket the lists goes on and on so we are boring to watch! LOL! Go Spurs Go!
The people who say that the SpurS are not exciting,are just jealous 'cause "the most boring" team in the league is in fact THE BEST TEAM IN THE NBA!!GOOOOOOO SPPPPPUUUURSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO GET #5!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am sure NBA is thinking about awarding the trophy by popularity contest, with due weightage given to TV ratings.
Writers like this create the illusion that spurs are un exciting. When Spurs were focusing on defense TV guys said they were boring. Now we have upped it to "Catch me if you can" mode and still the Spurs are thought as boring. What are we supposed to scream and holler after we score a basket or do a la Garnett every now and then. Phoenix suns has more personality than Spurs according to TV folks. Tv guys (like Doug Collins) have some picture in their mind that Suns and Mavs are more fun to watch than the Spurs and paint it to the casual fans as such. I love the Suns(Nash) just quoted them as an eg since they are a small market team like the Spurs.
I know people think that Duncan is not a big factor anymore. As reported on this site http://projectspurs.com/2011-articles/february/can-the-spurs-survive-without-duncan-or-ginobili.html Duncan's blocks are better than last year even with lesser minutes. Eat that Duncan haters!
I don't know why people talk about Duncan like he is not important to the Spurs anymore. I guess those people will shut up come playoff time.